Cellucor P6 Xtreme Review
It’s not often we can say that a natural booster is telling the truth just by looking at the front of the bottle.
In one respect though, Cellucor P6 Xtreme is doing just that. At between $140-160 a bottle, it’s definitely Xtreme, it’s Xtremely God damned expensive.
What are you supposed to get for your sizable investment exactly? Well, you name it, apparently you got it.
- Higher T
- More lean muscle
- Sharper mental focus
- DHT inhibition
- Controlled estrogen
If it can really bring all that home in a bottle, there might be a serious case for the hefty price tag being worth it.
We can tell this product is Xtreme in another way just by looking too. As with other Cellucor efforts we’ve reviewed, the entire formula is inside a 2600mg proprietary blend. That means no individual doses just a list of names and a total volume.
We honestly don’t know why companies do this. It just instantly undermines customer trust and credibility. Usually there’s no good reason for it other than to hide weaknesses in the formula. It’s frustrating guys.
How Does It Work?
At a Glance
- Ashwagandha to boost T levels and prolong exercise
- Tribulus terrestris to supposedly further boost testosterone
- Ovine Placenta Powder to stimulate muscle growth.
- Zembrin and ‘Alphasize’ as brain boosters.
- Saw Palmetto and stinging nettle to promote prostate health.
- Agaricus Bisporus to regulate estrogen.
- LJ100 to improve sexual performance.
That all sure sounds great. Our minds are certainly open, but our wallets are nowhere near that yet. We’ll see if that’s on the cards (literally – the bloody credit cards) after the scores
You can make a case for Ashwagandha, saw palmetto and stinging nettle, but all of them have a question mark hanging over their dosage. Near enough every other ingredient doesn’t just have questions to answer about the amount, they also have question marks over their effectiveness.
Most of us don’t an endless supply of money and what we do spend we want to make count. P6 Extreme spectacularly fails to do that.
Go for this and the only question is what’s going to run out first, your patience or your cash?
Where do you even start with a price in the hundreds for a single month’s bottle of any booster? How about with the obvious – it’s WAY too much.
For this we’d expect higher T, lean muscle, a doulbing in the size of our manhood, the power of flight and the ability to time travel. Some of the most effective boosters we’ve reviewed cost less than half what Cellucor P6 Xtreme is asking.
Those are better and cheaper, so as far as we’re concerned if you’re shelling out a ton plus every month, it’s not a T boost you need, it’s a common sense boost.
We might have no problems with Cellucor’s manufacturing safety but that doesn’t mean we’ve got no problems full stop.
The proprietary blend is a real issue, especially when you’ve got dud ingredients like tribulus terrestris floating about in there somewhere.
Cost is another sticking point, If you’re going to charge triple digits then not only do you owe customers all the details about what they’re getting, but you should also be delivering exactly what you promised. Based on this formula we can’t see how that’s possible. And neither can a lot of the users as you’ll see below.
We’ve no real detailed testimonial section breaking down individual user experiences on the official website or anywhere else.
So we have to go with feedback on retail sites. That’s not going to give us the full picture, but sometimes if they’re positive across the board, it’s enough to convince you.
Unfortunately Cellucor doesn’t manage anything like a clean sweep. It has only 3 out of 5 rating on GNC. There are 1 star reviews, complaining about price and ineffectiveness. Even from one reviewer who considers Cellucor his brand of choice.
Since being founded in Bryan, Texas circa 2002, Cellucor have had great success with a wide range of different supplements. Testosterone boosters, pre and post workout aids, amino acids and protein products, they’re all there and plenty of high profile spokespeople giving them the guns up.
No full marks because we disagree so strongly with their philosophy on proprietary blends, but they’re an impressive outfit and anything lower than a 9 would be petty.
How Do I Take It?
Users take 1 serving of 4 caps a day in the morning on an empty stomach.
From what we know about the metabolism, all the evidence suggests that single serve supplements are not ideal. The suggestion that just one dose will sustain its effects evenly for up to 12 hours is pretty far fetched.
Any Cellucor P6 Xtreme Side Effects?
It’s worth saying first that thanks to the proprietary blend, we can never rule out side effects in the same way you could with all the info at your fingertips.
However the only possible issue we can see is saw palmetto which in rare cases has been reported to cause headaches, dizziness and nausea.
Where Can I Get It?
Customers will find Cellucor P6 Xtreme at the GNC website for $149.99 for a 1 month supply. Not a typo, repeat, NOT a typo
Ingredients – In Detail
On the face of it Ashwagandha looks great. It can stimulate luteinizing hormone, a crucial building block of T and T itself in some cases. The problem is these studies were using 5g of the stuff. Over twice the overall volume of P6 Xtreme’s entire formula.
Where it might be a help is, as little as 300mg has been seen to reduce stress. Less stress means less cortisol, a stress hormone that blocks T. We’re not sure if there’s even that much here though.
Tribulus alatus fruit
This is a relative of the discredited tribulus terrestris, which repeated studies have shown does nothing for your T.
Tribulus alatus fruit doesn’t seem much more convincing, save for one Egyptian study on rats which showed a slight rise in serum T when large doses are taken.
It’s going to take more than one study to convince us that this isn’t is just useless tribulus terrestris in a crap fake moustache.
Ovine Placenta Powder
With a name that makes Horny Goat Weed sound like strawberries and cream this is what it says it is, sheep placenta.
Supposedly it stimulates a number of things useful to testosterone, including luteinizing hormone but we had really trouble finding decent studies. Besides, there is an argument that by the time it’s reduced to powder form any active benefits are gone.
Hard to swallow then. In more ways than one.
A good few studies do show that a relatively small doses of this nootropic can have a beneficial effect on both mood and cognition. So this is one of the more welcome choices. Hopefully P6 Xtreme includes enough.
Large scale studies show that Alpha GPC (called Alphasize here) can be useful in slowing cognitive decline as we get older.
And one extremely small study claimed it could increase power output by 14% when 1200mg was used as a dosage. Nowhere near that on offer here probably though.
In vivo studies on what is better known as White button mushroom show it is able to inhibit estrogen in breast cancer cells, but there’s not a lot in the way of human trials to back this up. So maybe a little early to be starring as the main anti-aromatase ingredient of a booster. Especially such an expensive one.
Saw Palmetto is one of the main natural choices for maintaining prostate health. So this is a strong pick at least. We say strong, we have no idea of its potency because Cellucor don’t think we need to know how much they’ve used.
The beta sitosterol in this ingredient may not have any influence on prostate size, but it can reduce symptoms associated with prostate problems. So it is useful in the right amount.
Beta sisterol also lowers SHBG. This a protein which binds to T and makes it unusable, so enough of this ingredient means more free T.
We’re never blown away to see this in a formula. It does very little for T – unless you’re clinically low and it has been seen to return some to normal range.
Mostly it’s included for it’s libido boosting qualities which would be a nice cherry on top if the rest of Cellucor P6 Xtreme was stronger overall.
Like a gig ticket you paid way too much for you would expect all the big names to be in the lineup. Yet, D-Aspartic Acid, Zinc, Vitamin D3, magnesium and vitamin B6 won’t be performing here tonight.
Not only is Cellucor P6 Xtreme not worth the money it’s asking, it would struggle to compete with some of the budget boosters we’ve reviewed.
If you were considering buying this we’ve got good news got you. There are brands twice as good out there for half the price. Save those hundred dollar wads for a night at the casino. Your chances of success is mch better there.
Studies Quoted in the Review
- Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S.A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Department of Neuropsychiatry and Geriatric Psychiatry, Asha Hospital, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. (2012)
- El-Tantawy WH, Temraz A, El-Gindi OD. Free serum testosterone level in male rats treated with Tribulus alatus extracts. Drug Bioavailability Center, National Organization For Drug Control and Research, Cairo, Egypt. (2007)
- Simon Chiu, Nigel Gericke, Michel Farina-Woodbury, Vladimir Badmaev, Hana Raheb, Kristen Terpstra, Joalex Antongiorgi, Yves Bureau, 1 Zack Cernovsky, Jirui Hou, Veronica Sanchez, Marissa Williams, John Copen, Mariwan Husni, Liz Goble Proof-of-Concept Randomized Controlled Study of Cognition Effects of the Proprietary Extract Sceletium tortuosum (Zembrin) Targeting Phosphodiesterase-4 in Cognitively Healthy Subjects: Implications for Alzheimer’s Dementia Lawson Health Research Institute, Lab FB125, 268 Grosvenor Street, London, ON, Canada N6A 4V2 (2014)
- De Jesus Moreno Moreno M Cognitive improvement in mild to moderate Alzheimer’s dementia after treatment with the acetylcholine precursor choline alfoscerate: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Instituto Nacional de la Senectud, Mexico City, Mexico (2003)
- Chen S, Oh SR, Phung S, Hur G, Ye JJ, Kwok SL, Shrode GE, Belury M, Adams LS, Williams D. Anti-aromatase activity of phytochemicals in white button mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus).Department of Surgical Research, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010, USA (2006)
- Bertaccini A1, Giampaoli M, Cividini R, Gattoni GL, Sanseverino R, Realfonso T, Napodano G, Fandella A, Guidoni E, Prezioso D, Galasso R, Cicalese C, Scattoni V, Armenio A, Conti G, Corinti M, Spasciani R, Liguori G, Lampropoulou N, Martorana G. Observational database serenoa repens (DOSSER): overview, analysis and results. A multicentric SIUrO (Italian Society of Oncological Urology) project. Clinica Urologica, Policlinico Sant’Orsola-Malpighi, Università di Bologna, Italy. (2012)
- Safarinejad MR Urtica dioica for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.Department of Urology, Urology Nephrology Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran. (2005)
- Ismail SB, Wan Mohammad WM, George A, Nik Hussain NH, Musthapa Kamal ZM, Liske E. Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men. School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Malaysia. (2012)